Newcastle vs Manchester City English Premier League

Kevin De Bruyne Rescues Manchester City with Late Goal and Assist

Manchester City came from behind to defeat Newcastle United 3-2 at St James’ Park on Saturday, with Kevin De Bruyne scoring a goal and setting up the winner in his return to Premier League action.

Bernardo Silva gave Pep Guardiola’s side the lead in the 26th minute, but Newcastle turned the game around late in the first half courtesy of goals from Alexander Isak and Anthony Gordon.

De Bruyne, on his return to league football after recovering from a long-term hamstring issue, then made it 2-2 in the 74th minute, before the Belgium international set up Oscar Bobb, with the 20-year-old’s first Premier League goal securing all three points for the Citizens in the final exchanges.

The result has moved Man City into second spot in the table on 43 points, just two points behind the leaders Liverpool, while Newcastle stay 10th, boasting 29 points from their opening 21 matches of the campaign, and the Magpies have now been beaten in their last four league fixtures.

Newcastle Start Brightly But City Strike First

Newcastle thought that they had taken the lead inside the opening two minutes when Sean Longstaff turned a low Isak cross into the back of the net from close range, but the offside flag was raised shortly after, with VAR confirming that it was the right call.

Man City goalkeeper Ederson was actually injured in the resulting collision with Longstaff, with Kyle Walker also in close proximity to his teammate, and the Brazil international needed a period of treatment before the play continued in the fifth minute.

Ederson’s first touch after the clash was a poor one, and it almost cost Man City a goal, but Walker’s pace got the champions out of trouble, with Bruno Guimaraes’s swing of the boot dealt with by the England international.

The Man City stopper immediately dropped to the ground, and it became clear that a substitution would need to be made, with a limping Ederson replaced by the club’s number two Stefan Ortega.

Newcastle Take the Lead Before De Bruyne Rescues City

The response from Newcastle came in the 35th minute, with Isak expertly curling the ball into the far corner of the net after a wonderful pass from Guimaraes had released his teammate.

The Magpies incredibly then took the lead in the 37th minute, and it was another wonderful goal, with Gordon working the ball into his right foot before curling it past Ortega in almost a carbon copy of Isak’s effort.

Ortega did well to deny Isak in the 41st minute, with the Newcastle forward causing all sorts of problems due to his pace and movement, and a pulsating opening half of action ended with the home side 2-1 ahead.

De Bruyne’s Impact Turns the Tide

De Bruyne did not take long to make his mark, with the Belgium international passing the ball into the bottom corner of the net in the 74th minute to make it 2-2 after a brilliant pass from Rodri had released him in a dangerous area.

Dubravka kept out a curling strike from Rodri in the 84th minute, but the visitors won it in stoppage time, with substitute Bobb collecting a sensational pass from De Bruyne and finishing into the back of the net after showing incredible feet in a tight area.

What it Means

Both teams will now enter a winter break, with Man City returning to action against Tottenham Hotspur in the fourth round of the FA Cup on January 26, before Newcastle take on Fulham in the same competition on January 27.

This was a thrilling match between two in-form sides, and it was ultimately De Bruyne’s quality that made the difference. The Belgian international is a world-class player, and his return to fitness is a major boost for Manchester City’s title hopes.